CANADIAN RED CROSS
- SENIOR MANAGER, MAJOR GIFTS, ATLANTIC REGION
Organization: Canadian Red Cross, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia office
Title: Senior Manager, Major Gifts
Reports to: Monica Gaudry, Director, Major Giving and Campaigns
Location: 133 Troop Ave, Dartmouth, NS
Is this you?
Do you want to join forces with a group of people that are passionate about improving the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world?
Are you a seasoned and savvy Major Gifts fundraiser who has a proven track record in securing gifts? Do you have campaign experience? Are you a respected and mature team member, with experience supporting senior leadership and philanthropy volunteers? Are you comfortable operating within a complex organizational structure and working cross-functionally with peers across Canada?
Are you a proven relationship builder with exceptional communication skills both written and verbal? And, you want to be part of a high performance, results driven team, working with colleagues who are both collegial and have high expectations while sharing your passion for the cause, intellect and professionalism.
If this sounds like you then please read on …
The mission of The Canadian Red Cross is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world.
The Canadian Red Cross Society is part of the largest humanitarian network in the world: the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. This network includes the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Federation) and 190 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies dedicated to improving the situation of the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross is the leading humanitarian organization through which people voluntarily demonstrate their caring for others in need. Their actions and decisions are based upon:
• Humanitarian values, as expressed in their Fundamental Principles
• Respect, dignity and inclusiveness
• Integrity, accountability, effectiveness, transparency, and adaptability
• Quality and safety
In 1965, the seven Fundamental Principles were adopted by the 20th International Conference. They were developed to link together the International Committee, Federation and National Societies. The Red Cross’ network is vast, but their approach is simple. All Red Cross programs and activities are guided by the Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. These principles allow them to provide help immediately to whoever needs it, wherever they are, whatever their race, political beliefs, religion, social status, or culture.
This role centers on Major Gift fundraising efforts in Atlantic Canada and reports to the Director, Major Giving and Campaigns who is headquartered in Toronto. As a key member of the Atlantic Canada Major Giving team working closely with the national Senior Director, Major Giving and Campaigns, the Senior Manager, Major Giving will support the development and management of the Major Giving program in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick and PEI. Our successful candidate will lead this portfolio to build relationships with key stakeholders and secure philanthropic commitments from individual and family foundation donors at the $10,000 and greater gift level.
• Develops, implements and evaluates annual Major Giving business plan for the Atlantic provinces by collaborating with Major Giving leadership to meet revenue targets for Major Giving activity in Atlantic Canada
• Develops and manages a portfolio of individuals and family foundation donors by developing personal contact with major gift donors through onsite visits (Atlantic Canada travel required)
• Cultivates relationships and moves donors through all stages of the donor cycle
• Creates individual donor plans and associated strategies
• Prepares proposals and presents cases for support on key priority areas
• Supports senior leadership, executives and volunteers in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors
• Identify prospects through activities such as database mining and prospect identification
• Works collaboratively with Philanthropy and Programming team to identify and determine leadership potential of prospective volunteers
• Supports strategy for volunteer recruitment and engagement
• Supports the recognition of volunteers in alignment with Volunteer Resources guidelines
• Utilizes Raiser’s Edge to capture moves management information
• Contributes to the development of provincial Major Giving revenue and expense budgets by conducting analysis and forecasting
• Monitors progress of revenue targets and adjust as needed to ensure success
• Monitors expense budgets and maintains close control of expenditures throughout the year
• Contributes to the effectiveness of Major Giving activity including regular monthly and quarterly reporting of key activity and financial indicators
• Account management for Major Giving donor relationships held by the Atlantic Philanthropy Lead and Vice President including donor strategy conversations, preparation for donor calls, proposal development, and donor follow up
• Supports international and domestic disaster appeals; Manages communications with team and assigned donors during times of disasters to share information and gain support
The Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will be a seasoned and sophisticated Major Gift fundraising professional with a track record of successful relationship management in Atlantic Canada. Importantly, the successful candidate will be a proven analytical thinker with exceptional project management skills. S/he will be comfortable in a mission-oriented setting where teamwork and relationship building for raising money is a primary deliverable and an accountability that is fully embraced.
Our successful candidate will possess/be:
• Extremely effective interpersonal and relationship skills coupled with a professional presence and manner – confidence, poise, a well-developed ability to enable and engage with all stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and be self-motivated in a complex and, at times, demanding work environment
• Highly collaborative – enjoys helping team members succeed; a great listener; someone who can manage his/her own stress and is a positive contributor who likes to have fun
• Seven or more years of job-related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong communication (written and oral) with excellent organization, planning and time management skills with exacting attention to detail
• A university degree or college diploma in business administration, marketing or fundraising management
• Experience using Raiser’s Edge database is preferable
• Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) an asset
If you are looking for an outstanding opportunity, working with a great leader for a very important cause and a uniquely focused opportunity, then what are you waiting for? Please send your cover letter and CV to Hilary Fisher at email@example.com. Please note only qualified applicants will be contacted.